Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Hello everyone! So for my first post:

THE SCORPIO RACES

by: Maggie Stiefvater
Review by: Zairra DC




It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.
At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.
Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.




SPOILER FREE REVIEW:

Can I just say I was in no way prepared for this book? The thought of another book about horses and deadly games seemed so worn out to me that it made me reluctant to pick up the book, though at the same time it actually sparked my curiosity on why someone, why Maggie Stiefvater for that matter, would add another book to the horses-and-deadly-games-pile of books.

Curse my judgment and bless my curious mind. I didn't expect to be so engrossed and captivated by TSR that by the time I realized that I was, which was when I read the prologue, it was too late to extract my heartstrings and put them in their rightful place. With Puck Connolly it was nice to take a break from all the whiny-and-burdensome heroines. She was a really strong and genuine girl and I liked her for that. Then there was Sean Kendrick a boy cloaked with mystery and with all his secrets buried deep. With these two together, it made my fangirl heart swoooon, not to mention how they would just watch each other's expressions so intently, I mean come on, could I ship these two any harder? It left me thinking: is it too much to ask for someone who'd dissect and watch me like Sean Kendrick? I also loved the other characters, like Puck's brother, Finn, and George Holly and how they really made parts of the story light and more humorous. There were also some really deep conversations and lessons in the story that left me with my epiphany and my in-deep-thought expression.

The book was just so unputdownable that I, being the girl to forever despise endings, was actually surprised and a bit upset when I found out it was a stand-alone book and that there was no epilogue or some extra glimpses of what happened after some time to the characters like Sean and Puck; the story was just so compelling I couldn't get enough. (I know some of y'all couldn't get enough either!)

In the The Scorpio Races, I liked how Maggie would describe characters and certain places in the book, though I had a problem on actually visualizing how the island as a whole looked like, like how one part of the island would fit in with another part of the island and all that. I actually ended up making a mini blueprint of the island of Thisby, and then making another one because more and more descriptions came out and they would never fit in with the image I had in my head. (Settings are really important to me!).

There was room for enhancement in some parts of the book (I read the scenes that didn't make it.) but overall, The Scorpio Races will captivate it's readers with its mysterious edge, dark twist and powerful characters. Truly a roller-coaster and a must-read!

Double thumbs up for Maggie Stiefvater!!!

PS. I was serious when I wanted a Sean Kendrick. (Maggie did you hear that?) Over all I'd give it 4 over 5 stars!








No comments:

Post a Comment